Tuesday, January 19, 2010

CHESS SIMUL FUN - Part of being a good chess coach!

As a Scholastic Chess Coach I have to travel from school to school giving chess simultaneous displays - and with the following constraints:

1.) It has to be exciting! This one is one that I am always trying to work on - the next one always has to top the previous simul given.
2.) I have to checkmate the scholastic players and those youngsters who are interested in chess as quickly as possible. Each youngster may only have anywhere from five to fifteen minutes worth of time with which to play his or her game against me.
3.) If I lose a game I lose a set. So if I want to keep my chess boards and sets I had better win every game! That is quite a bit of motivation for me as I cannot be going to chess clubs without my precious chess sets.
4.) I am a guest of the School that is hosting the event and as such I observe their rules - as any respectful guest would.

Enjoy these pictures from the 15 board chess simultaneous exhibition that I gave today – please notice that no chess clocks were in use during this event! However each player had very little time – maybe ten minutes or fifteen minutes maximum so I had to checkmate them as quickly as possible - as stated above! This event was a lot of fun – the largest Simul I have given so far this year with my own personal best being over twenty chess boards. This event had me worried that I might lose a set or two as this is my largest and strongest chess club and a lot of my players were eager to joust with me and win one of my prized chess sets!!

If you want to achieve anything in life then it is up to you!

As it is at the chess board so it is in the great adventure that is called life! - Coach Sean.

Before the storm breaks…

Object of the game?  As many checkmates as possible!

Attack of the Scholastic players - the wave comes crashing down!

The chess board is my shield...

The battle rages on!

You need track shoes for <span class=

As soon as I defeat a youngster - 10 more want to take his/her place - and that was when it was slow!

I played a lot of kids today!

"At the end of the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box".

"At the end of the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box".

Even though I do not use boxes for the pieces - I certainly had a lot of them to put away!

Make it a great day. - Coach Sean Tobin.

No comments:

Post a Comment